Skip to main content

December 2023: Navigating Boundaries with Grace: Empowering Statements to Decline Conversations and Uphold Respect


As we go into the holiday season, you might be experiencing some anxiety, frustrations, or even unhappiness about being around certain people. These people might be the type that do not respect your boundaries, voice their opinions unwarranted, or even assume that you have the same beliefs/ideas/priorities as them. Although it can be very common to be engrained growing up that we have to be respectful and listen to others no matter what they talk about, this mentality can be very harmful, especially depending on the topic or things being said. 

Establishing and maintaining healthy boundaries is an essential aspect of self-care and personal well-being. In our journey through life, we often find ourselves in situations where we need to decline conversations without compromising our own mental and emotional health. It's crucial to communicate our boundaries with respect and assertiveness, especially when certain topics or behaviors are not okay. In this blog, we'll explore a range of helpful statements that empower us to decline conversations while clearly expressing what is not acceptable, fostering a culture of mutual respect.

Expressing Gratitude:

  • "Thank you for reaching out, but I'm currently not available for a conversation. I appreciate your understanding."
  • "I'm grateful that you want to talk, but I need some time for myself right now. Let's catch up later."

Setting Priorities:

  • "I'm currently focusing on some pressing matters and won't be able to engage in a conversation at the moment. I hope you understand."
  • "I have a few deadlines to meet, so I need to prioritize my work right now. Can we connect later?"

Being Honest:

  • "I value our relationship, and I want to be honest with you. I'm not in the right headspace for a conversation at the moment."
  • "I'm dealing with some personal issues and need some time alone. I appreciate your understanding."

Establishing Time Boundaries:

  • "I have a busy schedule today, and I won't be able to engage in a lengthy conversation. Let's plan for a time when I can give you my full attention."
  • "I can chat for a few minutes, but I have a commitment coming up. Can we continue this conversation later?"

Offering Alternatives:

  • "I can't talk right now, but I'd be happy to catch up over coffee this weekend. How about we plan something then?"
  • "I'm not available for a phone call, but I can respond to messages later. Feel free to drop me a text."

Communicating Emotional State:

  • "I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed today and need some quiet time. I hope you understand."
  • "I'm in a reflective mood right now and not up for a conversation. Let's connect when I'm feeling more social."

Reaffirming Personal Needs and Boundaries:

  • "Taking care of myself is a priority right now, and I need some space. I appreciate your respect for my boundaries."
  • "I'm learning to prioritize self-care, and that includes recognizing when I need some time alone. Thank you for understanding."

Addressing Disrespectful Topics or Behaviors:

  • "I'd appreciate it if we could avoid discussing [specific topic] as it's not something I'm comfortable with."
  • "I find that [behavior or language] is not conducive to a respectful conversation. Can we please focus on more positive subjects?"
  • "I find that gossiping about others is not something I'm comfortable with. Can we steer the conversation in a more positive direction?"
  • "I'd prefer not to engage in political discussions, as they often become heated. Let's focus on topics that bring us joy instead."

Declining conversations is a skill that requires practice, and it's an integral part of maintaining healthy boundaries. By using these empowering statements, we can communicate our needs while also setting clear expectations about what is not acceptable. This approach fosters understanding, respect, and a healthier dynamic in our relationships. Remember, it's okay to prioritize your well-being and set boundaries that align with your mental and emotional needs.

Reflection Activity: 

Think about common uncomfortable topics that get brought up and how you can be proactive and practice setting healthy boundaries with others. You can write these down, put them in your notes app, and even practice them with safe and supportive people. 


Feeling like you need to some additional help processing your feelings around setting boundaries or having conversations with others? Reach out to your CAPS team to talk with someone! 

You got this, Pioneers! 



Interested in other When Life Feels Messy content? 
Podcast - https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/GmTJzrDjQAb
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@whenlifefeelsmessy...
Instagram - @twucaps and @twudalhou_caps


TWU CAPS Contact Information:
Denton Front Office - 940-898-3801
Crisis Line - 940-898-4357

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 2023: Suicide Survivors of Loss

Resources for Suicide Prevention https://988lifeline.org/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onebox https://www.samhsa.gov/newsroom/suicide-prevention-month https://988lifeline.org/how-we-can-all-prevent-suicide/ https://www.nami.org/Get-Involved/Awareness-Events/Suicide-Prevention-Month https://www.dhs.gov/employee-resources/news/2023/09/06/september-suicide-prevention-and-awareness-month https://www.nimh.nih.gov/get-involved/digital-toolkit-for-suicide-prevention-month Resources for Loss Survivors of Suicide https://sprc.org/tools/resources-survivors-suicide-loss/ https://afsp.org/taking-care-of-yourself/ https://988lifeline.org/help-yourself/loss-survivors/ https://afsp.org/ive-lost-someone/ https://allianceofhope.org/ https://health.maryland.gov/bha/suicideprevention/Documents/What%20Survivors%20of%20Suicide%20Want%20You%20to%20Know.pdf https://loss.helplinecenter.org/suicide-loss-and-grief/ https://dr-kari.com/my-approach/common-humanity#:~:text=This%20idea%20of

June 2023: LGBTQIA+ Path to Full Self-Acceptance

We want to start this month's blog off with a reflection: What comes up for you when you read or hear the words self-acceptance? What does self-acceptance mean to you?  Our individual experiences, lives, view of our self, role models, and much more, all influence and most likely created the definition of self-acceptance that you have at this point in your life. This is a normal thing that happens, but what can occur is because of external influences, we can really lose sight of what self-acceptance really means and looks like.  The official definition of self-acceptance is "the state of complete acceptance of oneself". It includes embracing who you are, without any qualifications, conditions, or exceptions, which means not just simply embracing the good, valuable or positive things about yourself, but also the less desirable, the negative, and the not so pleasant parts of yourself. Reflecting on that, doesn't really sound like something our society encourages and prom

May 2023: The Connection Between Music and Mental Health

  If we were to ask you right now to name one song that always makes you feel more positive, lighter, and calmer...what song would you share with us?  Maybe even thinking about the song had a reaction for you or made you want to play it (which we highly encourage at any point!) Music is something enmeshed in our daily lives, but do you ever just think about the psychological impact it has on you? Well, buckle up because this blog post is ALL about the powerful connection between music and our mental health.  A lot of research has come out about the link between music and brain/mental health and how listening and making music has been identified as a critical way to preserve and enhance our brain's health. This includes promoting mental well-being, increasing social connection, and stimulating thinking skills. And, yes, music can be a huge source of pleasure for us, but it also relaxes the mind, energizes our bodies, and can even help people manage pain.  And if you reading this and